If you have a day or weekend to kill before or after your San Diego cruise, consider hitting a beach. Summer’s already over, but the weather in sunny San Diego is still gorgeous. There are plenty of opportunities left to lounge an afternoon away on the sand or go exploring in some coastal tide pools. Actually, San Diego sees beautiful temperatures almost year round, so you can play in the surf or even go kayaking through the waves nearly anytime.
San Diego has roughly 70 miles of pristine coastline, which gives tourists dozens of beaches to swim and surf in, and lie out and play on.
Whether your San Diego cruise brings you to the Southern California city on your own, with family or as part of a group, take the time to visit a San Diego beach and we think you’ll be glad you did. There are soaring beach cliffs throughout San Diego County that are perfect for taking photos of. Spaces for playing volleyball on the beach are plentiful, and many beaches boast cute little shops just steps away.
Here are some things to know about San Diego’s beaches:
- Imperial Beach in San Diego is home to the annual Sandcastle Competition, and it’s a great beach for surfing, body boarding and swimming.
- San Onofre Beach, located in North County San Diego, offers some of the best surfing in California.
- La Jolla is known as “The Jewel” of San Diego, and it offers a beachfront set just moments from luxury homes to admire, great restaurants for fine dining and upscale shopping that rivals Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, California.
Top San Diego beaches that cruisers like to visit before they sail off or go home include:
- Imperial Beach
- San Onofre
- Carlsbad Beach
- Oceanside Beach
- La Jolla Beach
- Solana Beach
- Mission Bay Park Beach
- Moonlight Beach in Encinitas
- Ocean Beach
- Pacific Beach
Do you have a cruise planned that will take you in or out of San Diego? If so, we’d love to hear about it. Feel free to leave us a comment below!
More from All About Cruises and More
- Castaway Cay – Disney Cruise Lines Private Island
- Marvel Day at Sea on Disney Cruise Line
- Lock in Your Spot – Book Cruise Amenities in Advance
- Join Cruise of Lights® in Its 55th Year!
- Spend a Leisurely Vacation in Germany on a Main River Cruise
- Pack for Your First Cruise Like a Pro
- How To Pick The Perfect Cruise Length
- View a UNESCO World Heritage Site on a Douro River Cruise