Most folks could be forgiven for thinking a Caribbean cruise is the only way to go, but there are some amazing American river cruises that provide just as many memories and just as much excitement. From the Mississippi River to the Snake, Columbia, Hudson, and more, river cruises provide a unique and personal view of the American landscape. Here are some of the best reasons to choose a US river cruise:
1. See America at its finest. A river cruise might be the ideal way to enjoy the best this country has to offer. On each sailing, passengers are entertained (and maybe even educated, a little!) through special programs and events featuring historians, storytellers, musicians, artists, naturalists, and more. These local experts share their knowledge and passion, providing insight and engagement that’s unsurpassed by the big cruise ships.
2. Enjoy sumptuous cuisine. The fine dining you’ll find on a US river cruise frequently relies on local ingredients and regional flavors. From fresh beignets to farm fresh vegetables and hearty steaks, each meal reflects the bounty of nearby ports of call. And as an added bonus, beverages are frequently included on river cruises, including beer and wine at meals.
3. Complementary activities showcase American history and culture. Well-planned itineraries showcase historical, cultural, and literary landmarks, among others. For example, you could visit the battlefields of Vicksburg, Mississippi River plantations, Underground Railroad stops, Cincinnati’s Findlay Market, and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, plus botanical gardens, museums, and more.
4. Helpful and friendly travel agents can help book your whole trip. River cruising company travel agents can help book all aspects of your trip, including pre-and post-cruise hotel stays, airport transfers, and more. These travel agents are not only knowledgeable about their own cruises but experienced in managing all other aspects of a well-rounded trip.
5. Friendly and attentive staff strive to ensure your satisfaction. Generous hospitality and a warm welcome are real points of pride for river cruise companies. Many of those working on board the ship take special pleasure in welcoming you to the states they call home.
6. Leave a smaller environmental footprint. A river cruise can be more environmentally friendly than a big ocean liner. As a smaller boat carrying less weight, it requires less fuel.
If you’ve never taken a cruise, would prefer something closer to home than the Caribbean, or really enjoy American history and Americana, a US river cruise might be the perfect getaway.