Cruise travel training programs can help prepare you to work in the cruise travel industry. Most cruise lines prefer to hire individuals with a solid background in hospitality or travel and tourism. Cruise travel training programs come in all shapes and sizes. Aspiring cruise travel professionals can enroll in a cruise travel training program through a vocational school or a community college or through an accredited travel school or university. To get started, you should contact several schools to inquire about their programs.
According to Mary Fallon Miller’s How to Get a Job With a Cruise Line, the following questions will be useful when evaluating a potential cruise travel training program.
- Is the school licensed within the state’s Postsecondary Education Bureau or a recognized accreditation association? If you do not see evidence of accreditation, contact your State Department of Education for further information.
- What type of travel industry experience do the instructors have? Are the instructors familiar with the cruise industry?
- Do you offer hands-on computer training with airline reservations systems?
- How long has your school been in operation? If you are speaking with someone from a college or university, you should ask how about the history of their travel and tourism program.
- What type of placement assistance is available through the school?
- What type of facilities, equipment, and materials are available?
- What is the curriculum? Do you offer courses in all aspects of travel including cruises?
American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA) affiliated travel schools offer training in all areas of the travel industry. These ASTA affiliated travel schools can be found around the world. If you are interested in a school that is not ASTA affiliated, contact your State Board of Education for information.
To locate an ASTA affiliated travel school or travel training program in your area, contact the American Society of Travel Agents at 1101 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 or PO Box 23992, Washington. Email: [email protected]; Website, www.asta.org.