Windstar. Windstar cruisers can expect to find 64 shore excursions on the cruise line’s 7-day Italian voyages sailing between Venice and Rome; Rome and Rome; and Nice and Rome. According to a recent PR Newswire Report Highlighted 2011 Italy Shore Excursions include:
- Amalfi, Italy: Ancient Pompeii – Explore the UNESCO World Heritage site of Pompeii which was buried by a catastrophic eruption of Mount Vesuvius before it was re-discovered in the 1500s. Guided tour through Pompeii’s baths, theaters, temples, markets and forum which showcases Roman life from ancient times.
- Capri, Italy: Blue Grotto – Step aboard a small rowboat to enter The Blue Grotto, a sea cave, that is famous for its brilliant blue light created by sunlight reflecting through the water.
- Livorno, Italy: Wine Tasting and Carriage Ride at Lari – Wine tasting at Torre a Cenaia winery, a Tuscan wine cellar, before enjoying a romantic horse carriage ride.
- Livorno, Italy: The Leaning Tower of Pisa – Journey to Pisa which is located 20 miles from Livorno, and view the Leaning Tower, the Piazza de Miracoli, the Baptistry and the historical churchyard.
- Sorrento, Italy: Boat Tour to Positano – Private motorboat ride along the coast to Positano, once a sleepy fishing village and to home renowned artists, features Moorish-style houses set in luxurious gardens.
- Portoferraio, Italy: Countryside Drive and Wine Tasting – Visit the enchanting village of Porto Azzurro and enjoy wine tasting at a vineyard frequented by Emperor Napoleon.
- Rome, Italy: Private Vatican Tour – Explore Porta di Bronzo on Viale Vaticano, special sections of the Vatican Museums, Cappella Niccolina (private worship place of the Pope), artwork masterpieces, the Sala degli Ori displaying precious Etruscan jewels and St. Peter’s treasure.
- Rome, Italy: Rome Highlights – Panoramic drive passing the Pyramid, the Circus Maximus, Imperial Avenue, Arch of Constantine, the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Venice Square, Triton Fountain, Via Veneto, Borghese Gardens, Aurelian Walls, Sant’Angelo Fortress, the ancient Hadrian Mausoleum and a visit to St. Peter’s Square (Vatican City).
- Venice, Italy: Venice Essential Sights – With a local guide, explore St. Mark’s Square, St. Mark’s Cathedral, Doge’s Palace, Golden Staircase, St. Mark’s Basin and the Bridge of Sighs.
- Venice, Italy: Venice by Gondola – Admire the beautiful sights of Venice from a gondola, gliding along the canals accompanied by traditional Venetian music.
Cruises sail May through October 2011, with fares starting from $2,299 per person, double occupancy. To book a 7-day Italy voyage, visit the official Windstar website at www.windstar.com.
About Windstar Cruises
It has been more than 20 years since Windstar Cruises’ first vessel, the Wind Star, emerged from a French dry-dock in Le Havre. The vessel, called a “motor-sail-yacht” was named Wind Star. The Wind Star offered a romantic cruise experience aboard an elegant and luxurious vessel with sails that seemed to reach the sky. Today, Seattle-based Windstar Cruises operates several luxury ships each offering a romantic cruise experience for couples and groups of friends alike. Windstar cruise ships feature a private yacht-like atmosphere and the fleet includes Wind Spirit, Wind Surf and of course, the Wind Star.
The Wind Star accommodates 148 passengers, the Wind Spirit accommodates 150 passengers and the Wind Surf accommodates 312 passengers. Windstar cruise ships feature top notch spa services, full-service fitness centers, upscale dining featuring exceptional signature cuisine, both light and vegetarian menu selections, and an extensive wine list, energetic bars and bustling casinos.
All staterooms and suites offer ocean views, sitting area, new LCD flat screen TV, DVD, CD player, iPod Nanos and Bose SoundDocks systems, safe, mini-bar/refrigerator, international direct-dial phones, bathroom with luxurious pampering toiletries, hair dryer, plush terry cloth robes, and an abundance of closet space. The ships libraries are well-stocked with wide variety of international newspapers, books and games, as well as a multi-media selection of more than 500 DVD titles and compact discs available for complimentary check-out.
Complimentary water sports are also offered when the ship docks and where conditions and local government authorities permit. Water sports enthusiasts can enjoy water skiing, kayaking, windsurfing, sailing, swimming and scenic boat rides. Mediterranean voyages offer limited water sports activities as well, but in the event of turbulent seas and adverse weather conditions, water sports may be cancelled for safety reasons.
Windstar Cruises sail the Caribbean, Europe, The Americas, Greek Isles and Trans-Atlantic crossings. The Windstar Caribbean itinerary includes St. Thomas, Barbados, while the European itinerary includes Lisbon, Barcelona, Athens, Istanbul and Monte Carlo, to name a few. Passengers heading to The Americas will sail Costa Rica and Transatlantic cruisers will visit Barbados, Lisbon and St. Thomas. The Greek Isles itinerary covers Rome and Istanbul.
Caribbean cruises run November-December; European cruises run April-October, The Americas December-April, the Greek Isles May-October and Trans-Atlantic crossings run during the months of April and November.
Guests of Windstar Cruises are required to carry a valid passport. All passports must be valid for at least 6 months beyond intended stay. For more information about how to book a Windstar Cruise, call 800-258-SAIL (7245) or visit www.windstar.com.