Cruise ships are like small floating cities. They have libraries, banks, clothing stores, restaurants, nightclubs, recreational areas, green areas, and some even have a transportation system! This means that much like in most cities, there are plenty of job opportunities for all different backgrounds and skill sets. Some are common, while others are quite unique. One of the most unique positions on a cruise ship is “landscape specialist.”
Landscape specialists on cruise ships are responsible for maintaining plants, trees, ornaments, and other tasks related to the landscape. As such, aspiring landscape specialists on cruise ships must have experience plus degree in botany, horticulture, arboriculture, or ornamental horticulture. Ships also require thorough knowledge of horticulture requirements of ornamental plants and safe use of insecticides and fertilizers, including knowledge of integrated pest management methods.
Other requirements beside of horticulture experience include:
· Ability to read, write and speak English clearly and distinctly
· Strong communication skills in additional languages such as: Spanish, French, German, Italian and/or Portuguese preferred
· Must be able to accommodate a 6 months on / 6 weeks off contract schedule
· Must meet all physical requirements, including the ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation, including the participation in life-saving procedures and drills
· International applicants must have the ability to obtain a C1/D visa
To get started on a career as a landscape specialist on a cruise ship, stick to large Visit the cruise ships such as Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Lines. They are more likely to need a large crew of landscape specialists, and they often pay more. Next, visit the cruise line’s website and visit the employment page. If the line lists job openings for landscape specialists, simply follow the application procedure. If the cruise line does have any openings, send a polished cover letter and resume to the cruise lines Human Resources Department. Contact information is usually listed on the website under “Contact us” or “About US.” It is important to include the position you are interested so that it can be directed to the appropriate department manager.
Cruise Ship Employment Benefits
Cruise ship employees receive free accommodations and meals, competitive salaries, health insurance, and free air travel to and from the ship. Salaries for landscape specialists vary greatly by cruise line, cruise ship, experience, and other factors. In general, landscape specialists may earn anywhere from $2,000 per month up to $3,600 or more per month.